HAPPY PI DAY!
Call us crazy, but we'd rather have a piece of pie over any other dessert in the world.
We're also the type of people that like hot steamy pie with cold vanilla ice cream.
In Honor of Pi Day, we want to share with you our recipe for Blueberry Rhubarb Pie.
BLUEBERRY RHUBARB PIE
2 c blueberries
1 1/2 c rhubarb, chopped in 1/2" pieces
1 c sugar
3 T flour
pinch of salt
zest of one orange or lemon
2 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cubed unsalted chilled butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold water
1. In a food processor, combine all ingredients but the water.
2. Pulse until the flour and butter become small beads
3. Slowly drizzle in the water. If you need more water, slowly drizzle one teaspoon at a time.
4. Bring dough together and form a disk
5. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup quick oats
4 tbsp cold butter, cubed
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
sprinkle of salt
(Rub everything together until the butter is pea-sized and the mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside in fridge)
Preheat oven to 400F.
1. Line a nine-inch pie pan with pastry dough, allowing a half-inch of crust to hang over the edge of the pie pan.
2. Put blueberries and rhubarb in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together sugar, flour, and zest.
3. Pour sugar mixture over fruit and stir gently with a spatula until mixture is well distributed.
4. Transfer to lined pie pan. Use remaining dough to overlap on top of the fruit.
6. Sprinkle crumb topping over the exposed fruit
5. Bake for, 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake for approximately one hour.
Butter + Salt is a private chef and catering company specializing in weddings and corporate events. Butter + Salt is located in Reno, Nevada, and serves Reno and Lake Tahoe. To learn more or book an event, please call 775-450-9111.